Monday, February 24, 2014

Good Gifting - Homemade Spa Products

My gift to my beautiful baby shower hostesses,
see the final package below.
Having a natural obsession for spa products — particularly those made with natural ingredients — I decided to try my hand at making a few at home spa products. Creating these products make fun DIY projects that may even save me money in the long run.

My first inspiration came from a stay a year ago at an upscale hotel. They had a little welcome bag for my husband and I, including a bath tea bag. Loving any essential oils, Epsom salt and any bath fizzies I can get my hands on, this sounded like a great project for a spa themed gift. Here’s what you will need to make your own:


  • Dried chamomile flowers (about ½ cup)
  • Dried hibiscus flowers (about 1 ½ cups)
  • Dried lavender (about ½ cup)
  • Essential oil scented Epsom salt (or plain Epsom salt with the essential oils of your choice) (2 cups of Epsom salt)
  • Large (self-sealing) tea bags (I got mine at Teavana – great price!)
  • Iron
  • Large bowl


Measure and mix out the flowers, placing in the large bowl. Add in Epsom salt and mix. Scoop out and fill teabags half to three-quarters full. Use iron to press and seal.

Wrap with a cute ribbon for a gift, or place in a tub of hot water and enjoy for your self.


The second idea came from a gift my wonderful friend, Heather Loyall, gave me for Christmas. This little jar smelled so good, in a crazy pregnant moment I actually tasted it… .Then panicked I sent her a text that said “What was in that scrub?, I just tasted it ‘cause it smelled so good!” Luckily it only has three safe ingredients:


  • ¼ Cup Coconut oil
  • ½ Cup Brown sugar
  • ¼ Cup Honey
  • Small Jars


That's it! To make a batch, I took the whole jar of coconut oil and scooped its contents into a large bowl.
Next added in the brown sugar, mixing well. Last, I added in the honey, mixing until smooth. My friend Heather said you can substitute the sugar for salt for a grainier feel and add in fun ingredients to mix it up, like:
  • Coffee grounds
  • Orange zest
  • Fresh rosemary
Then simply jar, decorate and figure out who you want to spoil!

This is what I gave beautiful baby shower hostess, last summer. Tag reads:
"From my shower to yours. Thank you for helping to prepare us for our little arrival. Now go pamper yourself with these fresh spa products."


Please know these measurements are what I used, but if you want a grainier scrub, or a bath soak that smells more like lavender and chamomile and lavender, just adjust to make it yours!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

LiveEnergized | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012